Paleo Diet - What is it and what is the benefits?
Diva - 26 Feb 22
Paleolithic diet The Paleolithic diet, Paleo diet, caveman diet, or stone-age diet is a modern fad diet consisting of foods thought by its proponents to mirror those eaten by humans during the Paleolithic era.
- They Want to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight that they are on
- They Want help planning meals, this is a daunting task for everyday households.
What you can eat
- Nuts and seeds
- Lean meats, especially grass-fed animals or wild game
- Fish, especially those rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, mackerel and albacore tuna
- Oils from fruits and nuts, such as olive oil or walnut oil
What foods / confectionary to avoid
- Grains, such as wheat, oats and barley
- Legumes, such as beans, lentils, peanuts and peas
- Dairy products
- Refined sugar
- Highly processed foods in general
A typical day's menu for someone following the paleo diet will look like this
Here's what you might be eating during a typical day following a paleo diet:
- Breakfast - Some Broiled salmon and 1/2 a cantaloupe.
- Lunch- Boiled lean pork loin and some salad made from (romaine lettuce, carrot, cucumber, tomatoes, walnuts and a lemon juice dressing).
- Dinner- A tender Lean beef sirloin tip roast, with steamed broccoli, and a salad with (mixed greens, tomatoes, avocado, onions, almonds and a lemon juice dressing), and often strawberries for dessert.
- Snacks- An orange can be eaten, with carrot sticks or celery sticks.
The diet also emphasises how important drinking water and being physically active every day is.
What are the overall results of this diet?
A number of clinical trials have compared the paleo diet to other eating plans, very much like the Mediterranean Diet or the Diabetes Diet. Overall, the trials suggested that a paleo diet may provide some benefits when it compared diets of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, legumes and low-fat dairy products. These benefits listed may include the following:
- More weight loss
- Improved glucose tolerance
- Better blood pressure control
- Lower triglycerides
- Better appetite management
However, they are still to understand the long-term, overall health benefits and possible risks of a paleo diet.
When we talk about the paleo diet, there may be some dietary concerns.
A paleo diet is very rich in vegetables, fruits and nuts. These are all elements of a healthy diet, But The main difference between the paleo diet and other healthy diets or meal plans is that there is the absence of whole grains and legumes, which are considered extremely good sources of fiber, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. It is Also important to note that there are items absent from the paleo diet, such as dairy products. Dairy products are very good sources of protein and calcium.
The foods listed are not only considered healthy but they are generally more affordable and accessible compared to foods like wild game, grass-fed animals and nuts. For some people, a paleo diet may be too expensive to maintain.
The paleo diet may help you to lose weight or effectively maintain your weight. But It may also have other health effects that might not be good.
You might be able to achieve the same health benefits or results that you could get from the paleo diet by just getting enough exercise and eating a balanced, healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables.